[Ekiga-list] [Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index] Re: Problem getting Ekiga to work in Kubuntu Gutsy - Submitted by Jim Ruxton - Response by Damien Sandras in Vol 16, Issue 41, Message 5, Mon. N

Ian Murdoch ianyoli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 20:21:36 UTC 2007

Hi Damien,
I accidentally lost my copy of this thread, so had to take this copy from
your archives. Thank you for your recommendation. I looked at the internet
interfaces and found the following:
1 - In Dapper, where Ekiga continues to work efficiently:  Interface address
- ppp0[190.83.59.138]
2 - In Feisty, where Ekiga will not register my account:  Interface
addresses - ppp0[190.83.59.120]

- eth1:avahi[169.254.7.219]

- eth2:avahi[169.254.8.201]
You will note that I have 3 ethernet cards: eth0 (ppp0) is the original card
integrated with the IBM motherboard of my computer, which is not compatible
with linux and is DE-ACTIVATED, but strangely is the selected interface in
Dapper where Ekiga functions. eth1 and eth2  are each separate, linux
compatible ethernet cards plugged into the PCI Bus of the computer. In
Feisty, I have selected each card in turn, plugging the ISP cable into the
selected card, (I do not have a router), and tried forcing Ekiga to
register. Ekiga returned "Registration failed" in all attempts.
For general internet connection in Firefox, I normally use eth1 for Dapper
and eth2 for Feisty, because I encountered problems when trying to use eth1
for both systems. (Frequent crashes, etc.). Both function well.
In Feisty, in the GUI - Preferences, I tried to edit the ppp0 code string to
make it equal to that in Dapper, but found I could not do it. None of the
normal methods functioned. I assume that editing has to be done via the
command line. So, if your diagnosis results in a need for editing the
interface addresses, please spell out the commands which I need to use. One
other question: what is this "avahi"?
I request your kind help in resolving this seemingly intractable problem.
Regards,  Ian Murdoch.