[Ekiga-list] Many strange things happen to me

Mauro D'Antonio m.dantonio at tiscali.it
Thu Nov 29 23:01:16 UTC 2007

Hello everybody.
I'm writing to the Ekiga list because I'm trying to setup my first PC to
PC call and I'm not able.
As in the subject there is not a single wrong thing but many, so I will
first try to describe the environment.
I subscribed my daughter and myself to Ekiga.
I installed Ekiga on my PC (desktop with Sabayon Linux).
I installed Ekiga on my daughter's PC (laptop with both Windows XP and
Kubuntu Linux).
Both PCs are in the same home.
There is a router with DHCP server on it connected to an ADSL modem and
then the Internet.
Both accounts micol.dantonio at ekiga.net and mauro.dantonio at ekiga.net are
active, in fact we are both able to login on www.ekiga.net.
In both accounts allow others to look up my SIP address is checked (active).

1st test) The behavior is the same in all environments:
Ekiga runs and registers its account.
The wizard says Cone NAT as STUN test result.
STUN is selected as NAT traversal.
In the Ekiga settings in sound events window I'm able to hear all sound
effects for all events.
Calling 500 at ekiga.net works (I can hear the ekiga operator's voice not
at the very beginning of the message but the rest is ok) and I can hear
myself as an echo.
In Ekiga white pages looking for .dantonio as URL I can find me and my
daughter and the bold characters reflect exactly their real status.
Trying to call the counterpart when it is online the local PC does not
even play the call tone, the call hangs with remote user unreachable in
few seconds.
On the other side absolutely nothing happens similarly.
On the laptop with Linux the webcam is not recognized and video does not
work, in all other environments audio and video work corecctly.
In all cases no connection can be established.

2nd test) On the laptop, only with Windows, the personal phone can be
attached as a modem for Internet connection, here is what happens:
Call initiated and/or closed from the Linux desktop PC work perfectly
(audio and video).
Call initiated and/or closed from the Windows laptop PC do not work at
all (nothing happens on both sides as in the previous test).
In other words the desktop PC can initiate and close an established
call, but the laptop PC cannot initiate it and also cannot close an
established call (the laptop PC disconnects but the desktop PC keeps the
call running.

Maybe I can understand the 1st test where the 2 PCs are seen from the
Internet as one single IP address, Is it the single IP the reason of the
described behavior in the 1st test?
Anyway I cannot understand the 2nd test, why actions on desktop PC have
correct results and actions on the laptop PC have no result at all?

Many thanks for your help.
Ciao.
Mauro D'Antonio