[Ekiga-list] multiple accounts - which of them is used as source ?

yannick sevmek at free.fr
Wed Nov 28 20:59:47 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 28 novembre 2007 à 12:32 -0800, Sergei Steshenko a écrit :
> For example, in Ekiga I've entered two accounts and both are
> registered:
>
> myself_foo at voip.wengo.fr
> myself_bar at voip.brujula.net
> .
>
> And I'm calling my_friend at voip.sipphone.net .
>
> So, will my friend see the call coming from
>
> myself_foo at voip.wengo.fr
>
> or from
>
> myself_bar at voip.brujula.net
>
> ?

This just wont work. VoIP is not like email. I wish it could work as
email, but it does not work like an email.

Those networks may join together if there is an agreement between them.
The usual word for this agreement is "peering". You add a special prefix
to the sip address to tell your network (the account you want to use) to
link to another network.

Ekiga.net has peering with many VoIP other network, thanks to
sipbroker :
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Peering

Here is exemple of numbers you can dial using Ekiga.net account to join
other network:
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Fun_Numbers
e.g. sip*010600 at ekiga.net
*010 is the peering prefix which indicate to Ekiga.net provider to join
the VoIP network "Voxalot" and to call number 600 in this network (which
is an echo test).

Why is VoIP like this and not like email? I dont know.

Regards,
Yannick
--
Me joindre en téléphonie IP / vidéoconférence ?
sip:yannick at ekiga.net
Logiciel de VoIP Ekiga : http://www.ekiga.org
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Which_programs_work_with_Ekiga_%3F