[Ekiga-list] A Tale of Two Drivers

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Wed Nov 28 17:44:48 UTC 2007

Hi Ekiga-people,

I'm running Debian Lenny with a 2.6.22-2-686 kernel. I'm using Ekiga
2.0.11 along with a Trust 120Spacecam webcam. I am having an arrrgghhh
moment.

There are two drivers that will “work” with this camera:

   1.

      gspca

   2.

      sn9c102

Each driver has a different behaviour wrt to Ekiga. Let's start with gspca.

GSPCA

A. It works with all video applications except Ekiga (Amsn, kopete,
xawtv, gqcam, skype 2.0 (yuch), etc.

B. The drivers behaves “normally” - When the cam is not in use, the
light on the top of it goes out. When it is being used the light goes
on. I can plug or unplug the cam to a USB port w/o the system crashing.

C. The webcam is recognised by everybody (including Ekiga) as Sonix
sn9c10x + Pas106 sensor

The cam uses the v4l and *not* the v4l2 plugin (if I switch to that
setting on Ekiga the “input device” is /dev/video0 which is the correct
/dev but it complains about permissions etc.

D. Ekiga complains about not finding a supported color format so no image.

SN9C102

A.Works only with Ekiga and Amsn. Doesn't work with anything else.

B. “Flakey behaviour” - the webcam light is always on, whether the cam
is being used or not. Unplugging the webcam generally locks up the system.

C. The came uses the v4l2 and *not* the v4l plugin.

My question: is there anyway I can satisfy Ekiga about the colours so I
can use the same driver for all webcam applications?

Thanks,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Kaye