[Ekiga-list] video shows only top left quarter of image

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Mon Nov 26 15:27:36 UTC 2007

Le lundi 26 novembre 2007 à 13:29 +0100, Emil Obermayr a écrit :
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:52:53PM +0100, yannick wrote:
> >

> > gconf-editor
> > key: /apps/ekiga/devices/video/size
> > turn it to 1.
> > But you'll need 2 or 3 times more bandwidth.
>
> Ok, thats better, now the image is filled up with black bars; not nice,
> but better than cropped.
>
> I fiddled around a little with the testquickcam-mini-application that
> comes with the messenger-kernel-module v1.7. As it seems the module
> does not resize the image but changes width and height to the next
> values the camera supports.
>
> If you request the camera data immidiatly after setting it, you get back
> the really used values. If you ignore these you get a scrambled image
> with wrong wrap-arounds.
>
> So I guess somehow Ekiga "knows" about the right values but handles them
> wrongly. On the other hand it still might be possible the kernel module
> behaves odd.
>
> Why is Ekiga so picky about the resolution anyways?

The H323 standard determines that only H.261 QCIF is required to be
supported. Historically, most devices only support H.261 QCIF, like
Ekiga does.

Ekiga 3.00 supports many more resolutions, unfortunately, that does not
guarantee that the remote side will support the resolution you are
sending.
--
 _     Damien Sandras
       SIP Phone       : sip:dsandras at ekiga.net