[Ekiga-list] Ekiga-linux to Ekiga-win32: horrible, choppy, unintelligible sound

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Wed Mar 14 20:20:06 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 14 mars 2007 à 19:21 +0100, Dieter Rogiest a écrit :
> I tried using Ekiga-linux (compiled 6/3/07 on Mandriva Linux 2007) to
> communicate with my sister using Ekiga-win32 (2/3/07) but for the moment I
> have to give up.
> The video is not perfect but usable (both hers as mine) but the framerate is
> very low and Skype for Windows video quality is a few degrees better (in
> Skype I can actually see her mouth move in synchronicy with her audio).

If you are using Snapshots of Ekiga and not the stable 2.0.7, then it is
normal :
- Video codecs are broken in Ekiga snapshots due to the recent plugins
introduction

In other words, quality and framerate will both be bad.

> The audio with ekiga is just horrible. I read somewhere that sip software has
> excellent audio but so far I haven't noticed it. I guess others must be
> satisfied with their audio because I can't find anyone else in this list
> complaining about it.
>
> If I do an echo test to 500 at ekiga.net I can hear my own voice echoing back
> (with a strong echo effect): there my audio sounds normal.
> When I try to communicate with my sister we both hear garbled, choppy, almost
> non-intelligible sound. Always having to ask "Could you repeat that?" just
> trying to understand the other side is very tiresome.
> I tried two audio codecs: gsm and pcmu.
> I noticed on my gkrellm display that transmitting goes up to +32 KB/s which is
> the maximum of my internet connection.

That is because of the above explanation: don't use snapshots and expect
reliable quality. Please use a stable release and report back.

Thanks,
--
 _      Damien Sandras
v_/_  NOVACOM                 : http://www.novacom.be/