[Ekiga-list] Ekiga-linux to Ekiga-win32: horrible, choppy, unintelligible sound

Dieter Rogiest dieter.rogiest at telenet.be
Wed Mar 14 18:21:14 UTC 2007

I tried using Ekiga-linux (compiled 6/3/07 on Mandriva Linux 2007) to
communicate with my sister using Ekiga-win32 (2/3/07) but for the moment I
have to give up.
The video is not perfect but usable (both hers as mine) but the framerate is
very low and Skype for Windows video quality is a few degrees better (in
Skype I can actually see her mouth move in synchronicy with her audio).

The audio with ekiga is just horrible. I read somewhere that sip software has
excellent audio but so far I haven't noticed it. I guess others must be
satisfied with their audio because I can't find anyone else in this list
complaining about it.

If I do an echo test to 500 at ekiga.net I can hear my own voice echoing back
(with a strong echo effect): there my audio sounds normal.
When I try to communicate with my sister we both hear garbled, choppy, almost
non-intelligible sound. Always having to ask "Could you repeat that?" just
trying to understand the other side is very tiresome.
I tried two audio codecs: gsm and pcmu.
I noticed on my gkrellm display that transmitting goes up to +32 KB/s which is
the maximum of my internet connection.
We suspended the video, so only audio is transmitted and received. That
resulted in a little better audio where we could more or less understand each
other but the quality was still not acceptable.

Skype for linux (only audio) has excellent sound (apart from
some "wiuwiuwiuwiu" noise (I hope it is some interference from my fridge or
bad onboard sound of my motherboard, next week I'm buying a new computer)).

For now my sister and I are using Skype for linux and when I want video I have
to reboot into WinXP to use Skype for Windows.
Skype for Windows (audio and video) seems to transmit a lot less than Ekiga
(does anyone know what video codec Skype uses?).

I'm curious if my sound problem with ekiga also exist when communicating with
another ekiga-linux and not ekiga-win32.
Is there someone out there with ekiga-linux and webcam who I can contact with
ekiga just to see whether my audio is bad when using ekiga-linux to
ekiga-linux? It will only take a few minutes of your time.

Thank you,

Dieter