[Ekiga-list] ekiga.net echo test does not work, but...

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Fri Mar 9 13:28:05 UTC 2007

Le jeudi 08 mars 2007 à 22:39 +0100, Maurizio Avogadro a écrit :
> Hi Damien
>
> Damien Sandras wrote:
> > I have examined your logs, and there is a hint.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > See the Contact field ->
> > Contact: <sip:m.avogadro at 213.140.19.115:44271;transport=udp>
> >
> > It is the public IP address.
> >
> > Then in the answer from the server :
> > [...]
> >
> > See the Contact field ->
> > Contact: <sip:m.avogadro at 23.250.X.X:5063;transport=udp>;expires=3600
> >
> > It means that the router has been rewriting the SIP packet !!!
> > It has replaced the public IP address by your personal IP address. It is
> > a bug in the router.
>
> this seems quite interesting, but I still have a question: if this is
> true how can echo at proxy01.sipphone.com work?
> With that service I can hear my voice back perfectly also without STUN:
> maybe that client uses the address from which the IP packets are
> originated instead of that supplied in the SIP protocol.

Exactly. On Ekiga.net, we are not doing that because it would only work
with special numbers but not with other users, so people would have the
wrong impression that everything is setup correctly when it is not the
case.

> > I suggest you to try the following :
> > - do not use STUN at all.
> >
> > I do not think you are in a real NAT, 23.X.X.X does not sound like a
> > private address too me.
>
> I'm sure it is. See this page about Fastweb IP mapping:
> http://plany.fasthosting.it/natpool.html
>
> Without STUN I can't get any audio from neither 333 at voip.wengo.fr nor
> 500 at ekiga.net; with STUN I can hear the recorded message from
> 333 at voip.wengo.fr but I still get only silence from 500 at ekiga.net.
>
> Anyway I think that this is probably not an Ekiga issue but just a
> consequence of the different SIP implementations of the parties I'm
> calling: am I right? Bad news for me in this case... Wengo's http
> tunneling will be my last resort.

I think it is an issue of your provider... I can only suggest you to
change your provider.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
v_/_  NOVACOM                 : http://www.novacom.be/