[Ekiga-list] Ekiga, siproxd on Debian Etch troubles.

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Thu Jun 7 15:05:23 UTC 2007

Le jeudi 07 juin 2007 à 17:02 +0200, Bruno Hertz a écrit :
> Damien Sandras <dsandras at seconix.com> writes:
>
> > The INVITE, REGISTER and SUBSCRIBE should be sent to sipproxd. There was
> > a bug in the snapshot preventing this (2.0.3 was ok), so you helped me
> > finding this bug :)
>
> I wasn't really sure about this. During the last days, I've been
> browsing through various SIP docs on the web, while not going into
> real detail.
>
> I seem to remember though that some whitepaper I glanced over said,
> while INVITEs definitely should go through the proxy, other requests
> don't need to. Actually, a SIP server/proxy *should* step out of the
> way at certain points. That's why I brought this up again, because I
> feared I claimed a potential bug where actually isn't one.
>
> Again, you're the expert, so I trust I didn't put anybody on the wrong
> track.

Formerly, all SIP softphones where sending PDUs to the outbound proxy.
Now, the RFC suggests that you put an initial Route. When there is a
Route, the software should send the PDU to the address in that route.
The Route header will be updated according various circumstances and
using the Record-Route header in PDUs it receives. Doing that, the proxy
can decide to step out (it simply does not put a Record-Route header in
the 200OK, it means it steps out).

That's a tricky thing ;)
--
 _     Damien Sandras