[Ekiga-list] problem with 120 Spacecam

Hi Ekiga-ers,
This is a real puzzler and a challenge to all. I'm running Ekiga 2.0.3
on Debian Lenny with
a 2.6.18-4-686 kernel. My DM is KDE somewhere between 3.5.5 and 3.5.7 as
the KDE updates trickle down to testing. I rescued a Trust 120 Spacecam USB
webcam that my friend was throwing out because he couldn't get it to work
on windows ;-). I rescued it from the dustbin and found that it worked well
(it's a cheap camera so "well" means it produced a recognisable image) with
the spca5xx driver. The driver stopped working when I upgraded my kernel
and I couldn't find the source code to rebuild it for the new kernel. After
a few months I noticed that there was a Debian package spca5xx-source and I
could build the module for my kernel and it worked!!!!!!!!

For some reason I don't understand the webcam stopped functioning a few days
ago. I haven't changed kernels but there have been some minor upgrades of
xorg recently. The symptoms are that there is no image for xawtv, ekiga,
kopete, that its little light stays on all the time whereas before it would
only light up when it was being used by some program and then go off when
the program terminated and finally, the whole system would lock up if I
unplugged the videocam while the system was running. Even alt-sysrq + b
wouldn't work and I had to do a hard reset. Be that as it may, I rebuilt
the module (about 5 times) and still no luck. The little light shines and
shines. No response from any programs except one. This is really weird:
amsn is quite happy with it although the light doesn't go out when I shut
down amsn. It still doesn't work with ekiga, xawtv or kopete.
Now some information:
Yes, I am a member of the video group.
DMESG (relevant parts):
sn9c102: V4L2 driver for SN9C10x PC Camera Controllers v1:1.27
usb 1-1: SN9C10[12] PC Camera Controller detected (vid/pid 0x0C45/0x600D)
usb 1-1: PAS106B image sensor detected
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:11.6 (0000 -> 0001)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:11.6[C] -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 201
usb 1-1: Initialization succeeded
usb 1-1: V4L2 device registered as /dev/video0
usbcore: registered new driver sn9c102
usbcore: registered new driver spca5xx
/usr/src/modules/spca5xx/drivers/usb/spca5xx.c: spca5xx driver 00.60.00
registered
This seems ok.

LSMOD (relevant bits):
spca5xx               642384  0
videodev             21120  2 spca5xx,sn9c102
usbcore               112644  7
spca5xx,sn9c102,usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
v4l1_compat      12036  1 videodev
v4l2_common    20448  2 sn9c102,videodev
This seems ok too.

LSUSB:
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 07ab:fcfe Freecom Technologies
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 046d:c03e Logitech, Inc. Premium Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0c45:600d Microdia
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
I guess the Microdia entry is the camera.

Any detectives in the house?
TIA,
Jonathan

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.