[Ekiga-list] Very choppy sound with sip:500 at ekiga.net

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 05:53:13 UTC 2007

    After posting this I noticed that choppy sound seems to be a very
common issue with Ekiga. I therefore followed some suggestions that I
found in my search.

    First, modifying my /etc/asound.conf file for accounting for the
DMIX issue makes no difference (I believe this is not applicable to my
kernel version anyway). Actually, it seems to make Ekiga behave worse,
in that it occasionally freezes up.

   Second, the test line

     arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
     1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -

works fine. With a faint echo, but otherwise fine.

    Third, I tried with all the audio codecs that Ekiga has to offer,
and the only one that seems to work (with very choppy sound, like I
said) is PCMA.

   Fourth, I tinkered with the jitter buffers parameters, and I could
notice a very slight improvement when the parameters were 20 and 20 -
i.e. when disabled, I believe. The sound still is unacceptably choppy
tough.

   Fifth, the echo cancellation option makes no difference one way or the other.

   Sixth, after the connection with the SIP echo server gets
established, according to the Ekiga statistics no packets are dropped,
and the jitters buffers values oscillate between 20ms and 100ms.

   Seventh, Ekiga never takes up more than 10% of the CPU time (this
is on a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4).

   Eighth, my pings to ekiga.net take less than 180ms, and there is a
0% packet loss.

   This is all on Slackware 11, with a 2.6.19.1 kernel, for which the
ALSA version seems to be 1.0.13