[Ekiga-list] Very choppy sound with sip:500 at ekiga.net

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 04:33:24 UTC 2007

    OK, here is my problem:

    I am running Ekiga 2.0.3 on a Linux box under a 2.6.19.1 kernel.
My ADSL line does 330 KB/s downstream, 50 KB/s upstream. I am behind a
firewall that Ekiga detects as Port Restricted NAT, so I have enabled
STUN support, because my modem does not support SIP or H.323 natively.
The sound hardware is a built-in Intel ICH5 device.

   Everything seems to be fine. The network runs flawlessly, and so
does the sound device. In particular, when I run the sound test from
within the Ekiga druid, I can hear my voice echoed back, without no
distortion whatsoever, after a few seconds.

   However, when I call sip:500 at ekiga.net the sound received is
extremely choppy - the voice is barely intelligible. It is as though
the person at the other side were underwater. My voice gets to the
other side all right, but it is echoed back with the same distortion.

   I notice that Ekiga selects the PCMA audio codec. If I disable this
codec in my preferences then I get not sound at all in my call (other
than the dial tone) despite of the fact that the connection gets
established fine.

  Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? What makes it even more
irksome is that Skype works without any distortion on this Linux box -
I am trying to get a few acquaintances to look into Ekiga, and under
these conditions I don't stand much of a chance.