[Ekiga-list] Symmetric NAT problem

Damien Sandras dsandras at seconix.com
Mon Feb 19 20:41:17 UTC 2007

Le lundi 19 février 2007 à 16:23 +0000, Paulo J. Matos a écrit :
> On 10/11/06, Paulo J. Matos <pocm at soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> > On 10/10/06, Damien Sandras <dsandras at seconix.com> wrote:
> > > Perhaps, but I'm not confident into SIP over HTTP ...
> >
> > wengophone worked effortlessly. Thanks! It's unfortunate that ekiga
> > doesn't work in my case since I've always been fond of Damien and
> > Ekiga community.
> >

> After some months... here's a recap for reviving this thread.
>
> I've tried wengo behind my firewall but unfortunately audio/video
> reception is very verrry poor which makes it unusable. So the current
> solution is one I truly hate but the only one: skype for audio, buggy
> kopete msn camera for video. Skype is usable sometimes... kopete is
> nearly usable.
>
> My real question is if ekiga will support or already does sip through
> http or whatever technology skype uses to allow me to do calls. If no
> support is on the wishlist, why not? Is it impossiblerto do? Not
> practical? Not a desirable feature?
>

>From my point of view, SIP from HTTP can not work. Transmitting audio
through TCP is not a good idea and can only lead to problems.

Moreover, there is no standard for that, it means I should implement it
my way.

However, I was wondering : is it broken in your case because your
firewall rejects SIP traffic, or does it only reject traffic that is not
directed to port 80 ?
--
 _      Damien Sandras
v_/_  NOVACOM                 : http://www.novacom.be/