[Ekiga-list] trace of problem getting Ekiga to workin Kubuntu gutsy

Sergei Steshenko sergstesh at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 21:02:57 UTC 2007

--- Julien Puydt <jpuydt at free.fr> wrote:

> Sergei Steshenko a écrit :
> > --- Julien Puydt <jpuydt at free.fr> wrote:

> >> In gconf, there is : /schemas/apps/ekiga/protocols/sip/listen_port
> >>
> >> Nothing's missing.
> >>
> >> Snark on #ekiga
> >>

> > I'm running KDE and don't have 'gconf' installed.
> >
> > Can 'gconf' be installed under KDE ?
>
> Are you sure you don't have gconf installed?

Yes, I am:

"
sergei at amdam2:/mnt/sda8/sergei> which gconf
sergei at amdam2:/mnt/sda8/sergei> whereis gconf
gconf:
sergei at amdam2:/mnt/sda8/sergei>
"

> Chances are your distribution compiled ekiga with gconf, and you're
> using it right now.

Using Ekiga or using gconf ?

> Notice that I didn't give a file path, but a configuration path : don't
> touch the files!
>
> Try to use gconftool-2 to edit your configuration... it is more likely
> to work.

I do have gconftool-2 installed, but I have no idea how to use it - after briefly
looking into its manpage.

Is this GNOME philosophy to use another (gconf, gconftool-2) tool to edit settings ?

If yes, why ?

> Snark on #ekiga

Thanks,
  Sergei.