[Ekiga-list] newbie issues...

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Mon Apr 9 18:46:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to setup Ekiga 2.0.3 (as shipped with Debian/Etch), for
VOIP and video conferencing.  I'm having a bit of trouble with each.

for VOIP I'm using sip through the institute gateway device which is
some cisco product I don't control. Incoming calls work fine.  Out
going calls show weird behavior.  If the call isn't answered on the
first ring I get an "abnormal call termination", if the call is
answered on the first ring the call will work for a short but
nondeterministic time and then end in the same bad way.

Using an different soft phone (twinkle) out bound calls work fine.
Looking at tcp dumps of the connections in both cases I see significan
RTP traffic from the MIT sip server, with twinke there's also RTP
traffic from my host back while ekiga is silent.

Any clue what's up with that?

For video conferencing I'm using h.323 to an old Vtel system for
testing.  Video quality is relatively poor (compated to teh Vtel
system) no mater how fancy a camera I connect.  I think this is ddue
to the "Maximum video bandwidth" setting which is maxed at 100kB/s
where as the Vtel system will go upto 768.  Can this be raised?

Thanks,
-Jon