Re: [Ekiga-list] need documentation of how to get Ekiga working with other programs

Hi,

Le dimanche 29 octobre 2006 �2:12 -0800, David M. Kaplan a �it :
> Hi,
>
> Yannick - the page you set up is a great start to the documentation.  A
> few suggestions: (1) I would add a "setup instructions" or "discussion"
> column with some empty links already in place so that people who have
> used Ekiga with that program can add a page with instructions on how to
> set things up;

I wish i could do that, but the "boss" there don't allow any people to
use the wiki, as the wiki was hacked and the very few people
administrating (maybe only 1 person : Damien) have other things todo
(coding mostly), i'm doubt this will happend soon. Help will be greatly
appraciate on this issue i guess. For now, the best way is to use this
mailling list or IRC to report success.

> (2) You might also add a column that indicates the
> versions of Ekiga and the other program that were tested (or perhaps
> that belongs in the setup instructions pages);

Well... Most of the informations was collected using google based on my
knowledge of Ekiga. This is mostly theoric... I used ekiga<->ekiga and
ekiga<->netmeeting. I also get an IM from windows messenger version
5.1.0701.

> and (3) you might want to
> add "Ekiga for windows" to the "Using Windows" table - I naively thought
> that everything would work fine with the connection from Ekiga-linux to
> Ekiga-windows, but I could only get audio working, nothing else.

You're right. But Ekiga for windows is still in beta, and heavy work are
currently done on building it. I'll wait a bit for that.

I've plan to add a "presence" column, as Damien is working on it
currently.

> The obvious thing that one notes from the table is that audio almost
> always works, but text and video almost never work.  Naively, I would
> think that text and video would be no more difficult than audio if SIP
> is used.  Why is this not the case?  Do other programs have the same
> difficulties (e.g., does video from Gizmo to X-lite work?)?  Is there
> any way to find out why video doesn't work?

About text, my guess is other program implement other protocol (mostly
jabber, which is a wish of the team) or implement variation (extended)
of the one used in Ekiga (SIP SIMPLE). I don't know the current status
of it right now. I need reports about it.

About video, the issue is codecs. Ekiga is a very old timer in VoIP
(more than 5 years) and was in first place realased with the H261 codec
which refer to one of the first codec available for VoIP. Since then new
(better) codecs has appear and most of the current software use H263
codec only (almost like XVID or DIVX), or use the very new (and heavy
CPU) H264. Beside that, the Ekiga design is under heavy change to add
plugin for video codecs wich will greatly improve the choice of video
codecs in Ekiga adding H263 (and in my best dreams H264 via the x264
codec). Fact is only products from Microsoft have support for H261...

About interoperability between other software, I know no one which can
test this, nor can maintain a wiki page about it...