[Ekiga-list] Poor audio quality

Mario Rossi mariofutire at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 20 22:33:32 UTC 2006

> >    Where is actually the problem?
> >    - the driver
> >    - dmix
> >    - alsa

> Here, most probably.

> Snark

> PS: why do you post twice?

Sorry about that, but some mails arrive within seconds other times it
take few hours, so I reposted it. I will be more patient.

Reading messages in the mailing list and the wiki about audio setup
(the one about dmix) it seems that the alsa layer is the weak point to
get good sound quality.

I haven't understood what is exactly the problem, but since alsa looks
to be the standard sound architecture in linux, I see that as a big
issue. Especially since it is very common to use more than one audio
oriented application at the same time.
Shouldn't the developers of alsa be involved, filing bug reports or
asking for a better implementation of the problematic drivers.

Or am I failing to understand the situation?

Regards