[Ekiga-list] gatekeeper automatic discovery

teamlog clement.jeanne at teamlog.com
Thu Dec 14 16:56:30 UTC 2006

Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le mardi 12 décembre 2006 à 00:42 -0800, teamlog a écrit :
>> I'm a user of Gnomemeeting and I was using the automatic gatekeeper
>> discovery
>> which means the RAS message GatekeeperDiscovery to be broadcasted
>> (255.255.255.255) to the network. It works perfect with gnomemeeting and
>> gnugk and I'm able to move physicaly in a network and automatically
>> register
>> on the local gatekeeper.
>> Why is this feature no more in Ekiga ? I've test Ekiga and it looks good
>> but
>> this is major problem that does not allow me to move to Ekiga...
>> What can I do ?
>
> Ask for the gatekeeper settings to your administrator and add them in
> the Accounts Editor. It should work.
>
> But, yes, we have unfortunately removed "Automatic Discovery", but that
> shouldn't prevent you to register to the gatekeeper.
>
> Good luck!
> --
>  _      Damien Sandras
> (o-
> //\   Ekiga Softphone : http://www.ekiga.org/
> v_/_ NOVACOM         : http://www.novacom.be/
>           FOSDEM          : http://www.fosdem.org/
>           SIP Phone       : sip:dsandras at ekiga.net

Thanks,
no problem with the gatekeeper because I am the administrator as well.
My last question is why "Automatic Discovery" has been removed ? security
problem or something else ?
Another question : how can I manage to get the same feature ? I mean, if my
terminal move somewhere else in another network, get another IP address from
DHCP and so on... how can I automatically register to the new local
gatekeeper without seizing it's address ? I guess I can do something with an
FQDN that can be resolved differently depending the place the terminal is,
but I'm unsure. Or maybe the adresse of the local gatekeeper can be set by
the DHCP process... Any idea ?