[Ekiga-list] Protocols and registering accounts

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 10:10:49 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 09:07, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le jeudi 30 novembre 2006 à 17:09 +0000, Anne Wilson a écrit :
> > On Thursday 30 November 2006 16:31, Jan Schampera wrote:

> > > Regardless firewall nightmare:
> >
> > I remember well that the main problem we had when we both used
> > GnomeMeeting, long ago, was a firewall problem.  I'm not saying that I've
> > got it right yet, but I'm aware of it :-)
> >
> > > h323:<IP_of_friend>
> >
> > That sounds easy enough.
> >
> > > You can register to a so-called gatekeeper service,
> >
> > I don't realy understand where the gatekeeper service fits in.  Any
> > recommended reading on that?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.323_Gatekeeper

Thanks for the link.

<quote>
Terminals which provide multimedia content using this protocol in the
H.323 "zone" (e.g. Microsoft NetMeeting) are required to register "at the
gate". The registration goes into effect, once the terminal provides its
address.
</quote>

So, if I understand that correctly, the NetMeeting user will have to register
with a gatekeeper, but not the Ekiga user calling him?

The link gives an explanation of how it works, but once more there is no
indication of who provides such a service.  Since Damien says he doesn't
know, I assume that I can forget it for now.

Anne