Re: [Ekiga-list] Bad video quality / bandwidth

Hi,

I can offer a few suggestions regarding bandwidth and video quality in general, as related to your supervisor's expectations.

First, I'm pretty sure that the bandwidth restriction you're talking about in Ekiga is shown in kiloBytes/sec, not kiloBits/sec. This was very confusing to me also when I started with Gnomemeeting several years ago. I would prefer to see it in bits rather than bytes myself.

Thus the restriction is actually 1 megabit. Remember that this is only one side of the conversation, the upstream side. If the other side is also sending at 1 mbit, then you are at a total bandwidth of 2 mbits. In other words, even a T1 dedicated totally to videoconferencing and connected directly to the backbone, would be inadequate for you.

On the quality issue, I use both GM, oops, Ekiga, and several high end (on the order of $10K each) Polycom video systems. The Polycoms are certainly higher quality video than Ekiga - they use dedicated hardware and proprietary encoding (and lots of $$$). However the best quality that I have ever seen was VHS quality (maybe 320 x 240 resolution). The catch is that this was using ISDN lines (3 of them, in fact). I do a regular video conferencing setup using IP rather than ISDN for an extremely, extremely large content delivery company at their main data center, directly over their NOC. When using a full T1 line, dedicated to the Polycom (running in IP mode), the quality is, at best, 3rd or 4th generation VHS quality. In other words, pretty crappy. I can guarantee you that you won't get better quality than this. On the other hand, I'm a video guy, so my idea of crappy may be someone else's idea of OK.

You will not get anything better than 320x240 video quality using h.232, especially over IP, no matter what anyone tells you. There is just too much data in a video call. If you need more, you will need to go to some sort of streaming protocol, using independant servers and clients at each end.

Now for some useful info ;)

You will probably see a marked improvement in quality by _reducing_ your bandwidth request. Try something on the order of 20 - 50 kB in Ekiga's settings and using a small image size, or some variation of the above. Once you have established something that works as a baseline, you and your associate at the other end can try changing things -- slowly, and one thing at a time.

As for projecting the image, once again do the counter-intuitive thing. Set your computer to run at 640x480 resolution. The video window will be a larger part of the overal desktop and when projected will not look as blocky. This works only because the projector manufacturer has spent a lot of resources on optimising the resizing hardware inside the projector itself. The projector does the resizing entirely in hardware and will do a far better job than any PC can do.

Finally, let me say that people in general ( and especially supervisors) have wildly inflated ideas about what is possible in video conferencing. If you are only doing your video one way, there are much better solutions. However, if it has to be two way, you'll have to realign your expectations.

If you want to go over more detail on this, you can email me at morrisb avpresentations com

good luck,

morris