Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] ekiga-snapshot Debian package

Ciao Luca!

--- Luca Capello <luca pca it> schrieb:

> Ciao Matthias!
>
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:00:15 +0200, Matthias Schneider wrote:
> > [deleted]
> >>
> >> Maybe Matthias can provide a "fix" to this. Then the Depends will
> >> also move to Suggests.
> >
> > Please let me elaborate why we have to go through all this hassles:
>
> Thank you for the explanation, I very much appreciated.
>
> > b) dynamically load x264 from the GPL process and tell the plugin
> > via the pipes whether the loading was successfull or not (which can
> > then activate or deactivate itself)
> [...]
> > how to get the library name of libavcodec ???
>
> It seems that both issues have been fixed, from opal changelog:
> =====
>
> 	* plugins/: configure, configure.ac: fix detection of libavcodec.
> 	  Thanks goes once again to Matthias Schneider.
>
> [...]
>
> 	* plugins/video/H.264/: Makefile.in, h264-x264.cxx,
> 	  h264pipe_unix.cxx, h264pipe_unix.h, gpl/Makefile.in,
> 	  gpl/enc-ctx.cxx, gpl/enc-ctx.h, gpl/h264helper_unix.cxx,
> 	  shared/h264frame.cxx, shared/pipes.h: * dynamically load libx264
> 	  at runtime on *nix * Improved error handling
>
> 	  Patch received from and thus thanks goes to Matthias Schneider.

> 	* configure.ac, plugins/Makefile.in, plugins/configure.ac,
> 	  plugins/video/H.263-1998/Makefile.in,
> 	  plugins/video/H.263-1998/h263-1998.cxx,
> 	  plugins/video/MPEG4-ffmpeg/Makefile.in,
> 	  plugins/video/MPEG4-ffmpeg/mpeg4.cxx,
> 	  plugins/video/common/dyna.cxx: * Improved x264 and libavcodec
> 	  detection: version check & library name check * changed BOOL to
> 	  bool in mpeg4 ( completion of previous commit)
>
> 	  patch received from and thus thanks goes to Matthias Schneider.
> =====
>
> Thank you very much, Michael.  Could you please send a fixed notice to
> the mailing list in case this will happen in the future?
>
> Kilian, I think that libopal-cvs should now also suggests libx264-54!
>
> However, even after having installed lix264-54 I still have some
> errors (log attached, there's also a parser error), because the opal
> plugins are in /usr/lib/pwlib-cvs/opal-2.3.2/codecs instead of
> /usr/lib/pwlib/codecs.  As soon as I put the plugins in the correct
> place, ekiga-snapshot shows the H264 video codec, too.
>
> I don't want to bother you (i.e. all ekiga/opal/pwlib developers) with
> silly questions, but why don't install/search the plugins in
> /usr/lib/opal-$VERSION/codecs?  Or, like pwlib actually does for its
> plugins, in /usr/lib/opal/$VERSION/codecs?  From a profane POV, this
> will be "consistent" about the plugins origin.
>
> Now, we need to fix the ekiga-snasphot dependency to libopal-cvs :-)
>
> I'm not going to discuss the audio/video quality of ekiga-snapshot
> compared to ekiga-2.0.9, because I just performed a preliminary test
> and it doesn't belong to this thread.
>
> Again, kudos to Michael for the very fast fixes, replies and
> explanations.
>
> Thx, bye,
> [...]
Right now the plugins are either looked for in
/usr/lib/pwlib
or in some directory that you specify in the PWLIBPLUGINDIR environment variable (so no symlink
necessary). However I think we can improve that... Lets collect a list of candidate directories
where to look for plugins:

/usr/lib/pwlib
/usr/local/lib/pwlib

However I find it strance that the codecs go to /usr/lib/opal-$VERSION/codecs ... Where do the
inputdevice plugins go to in that case (i.e. V4L, V4L2, etc). Actually I also see an
implementation issue there, because the plugin loading code and default directories is in PWLIB.
How the heck shall PWLIB know about a possible OPAL version you are going to base on it? I mean
PWLIB could also be used without OPAL. Or possibly all plugins should better go to the
/usr/lib/pwlib / /usr/local/lib/pwlib dir?
On my setup everything goes to /usr/local/lib/pwlib...

Matthias

p.s. Who is Michael?

      Jetzt Mails schnell in einem Vorschaufenster überfliegen. Dies und viel mehr bietet das neue Yahoo! Mail - www.yahoo.de/mail