Re: [Ekiga-devel-list] preliminary patch for X-Video support

Hi Matthias,

Le lundi 11 septembre 2006 à 23:17 +0200, Matthias Schneider a écrit :
> Hi all,
> a few months I had posted an email about integrating XVideo hardware acceleration into ekiga,
> unfortunately I didnt find some time until a few weeks ago...
>
> The image quality of XVideo is a lot better than SDL, also CPU drops significantly since the
> dedicated hardware does the scaling and colorspace transform.
>
> Enclosed I am sending a patch for ekiga 2.0.2. After applying, please run
>
> patch -p1 < ekiga-2.0.2-xv-1.5.patch
> aclocal
> automake
> autoconf
> configure
> ./configure [-disable-xv]
> make
>
> The XV support may be disabled at compile time with configure --disable-xv (or if the respective
> libraries are not found).
>
> Right now the XV implementation creates separate video windows that may be put into fullscreen
> with the key "f", be made to stay on top with "o" and feature removable decorations "d".
>
> I would like to raise a discussion about some of the issues that I have not yet resolved:
>
> - window coordinates:
>   Where should the Video windows be located? Right now they appear in the upper left corner of the
> screen...

Is XV support intended to replace GDK or SDL?
I would replace both if possible.

> - get the -display command line parameter
>   Right now the XVWindows will be created on the DefaultDisplay. I would prefer making them appear
> on the display specified on the command line (if it was specified)
>
> - ptrace levels
>   right now all PTRACEs are sent on level 1, however some messages are warnings, other pure debug
> information. Could someone educate me about the respective levels?
>

>From my point of view:
1 is for errors.
3 is sane.
4 is intense debugging already.

> - layout of video windows
>   Right now all XV displaying makes use of a separate X-only window. I would like to ask if we
> could review the display modes in ekiga, right now we have:
>   local only
>   remote only
>   Picture inPicture
>   SideBySide
>   Two windows
>   Fullscreen
>   I find myself am only using fullscreen or a picture-in-picture in a separate window (which is
> missing from this list). I think it should be possible to paint XVideo into GTK windows knowing
> the X-Windows handle for th respectire window, so possibly XV may be displayed inside ekigas main
> window as well. However up to now, my efforts where unsuccessfull...

You should ask for help to some GTK hacker. I can put you in contact.
Notice that in CVS, SideBySide is gone.

>   Shall we add the PIP in external window? Shall we stick to all the others as well? What about
> the zoom stuff? My windows are freely resizable, no need for the 2x or 0.5x menu entries.. Also
> what about the Fullscreen menu entry? XV supports it, but what if we compiled with XV and have to
> fallback to gdk and have no SDL compiled in?

Then fullscreen should be disabled.

I would really keep the video in the window, simply because this is how
others are doing.

> - fallback to gdk if XV is not available
>   The XVWindow classes init procedure returns NULL if XV cannot be properly initialized. In that
> case a GDK renderer should be registered instead of the XV renderer.
>   Right now however I do not have the slightest clue how to do that, because the setframedata
> function is called from opal, and I think it would be quite ugly to touch opal for such a feature.
>   The PVideoOutputDevice constructor is called to early (startup) for opening the window already.
>   How can we get the GDK output device registered in case XV is not available at run time (another
> program using it and the graphics adaptor supporting only one XV port for example)
> It would be really cool if I could get some support from someone who knows ekigas code better than
> me..

I don't understand the problem.

Can you elaborate on the functions flow and what is the exact problem?

>   I also have an nearly similar DirectX class waiting for ekiga, hopefully I will find some time
> soon. Please let me know what you think about this XV class,

I like it :)

Thanks!
--
 _      Damien Sandras