MySpace (or things I'm going to regret later)

Given that I see a number of my friends starting to have MySpace profiles, and as the user interface for MySpace tends to make me want to do something not-doctor-recommended with an icepick (that and a wish to open walled gardens with no APIs), I've decided to do something about this.

Therefore, I am announcing the libmyspace project. It's got a SourceForge project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmyspace/), and initial code that can list all of the blog entries for a given MySpace user. The eventual aim is to provide sufficient functionality that Drivel can post to MySpace as easily as it would post to any other blog system that has a proper API (with the side goal of also letting other software use the same interface to access MySpace services). There's now a libmyspace-devel list, and so all further communiction regarding this should be on that list, not here. (See https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libmyspace-devel to signup)

So, I've got your attention? What can you do to help?

0) Have pcre and libcurl devel packages installed (libpcre3-dev and libcurl3-openssl-dev on Debian are a good choice) 1) cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous libmyspace cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/libmyspace co -P libmyspace
2) make

You should now have a 'myspace' executable, which you can hand your username and password (assuming you trust me... :-) and it should start to attempt to list all of your current blog entries. As it goes through and starts to try and get things, it caches various files to speed up subsequent runs. In fact, right now if it successfully gets everything, later runs won't actually do any network traffic and so complete pretty damn quickly. What you should expect to see on a later run is like this (earlier runs will have lots of libcurl debug messages):

palfrey scrumpy:[~/src/libmyspace] ./myspace myspace tevp net mypassword
converted username = myspace%40tevp.net
token is 053a97f6-63c2-4092-8f00-87b72ac94310
Time = 2006-05-07 (from Sunday, May 07, 2006)

Subject: libmyspace needs more data
cat=Content, content = Flibble, wotsit, bleh
Time = 2006-05-07 11:04:00 PM (from <b>11:04 PM</b>)

mood = bouncy, image=http://x.myspace.com/images/blog/moods/iBrads/bouncey.gif
Subject: Testing 1,2,3
cat=Content, content = Blah, blah, blah
Time = 2006-05-07 11:03:00 PM (from <b>11:03 PM</b>)

If you don't see this, I want to know. If you do see this, I also want to know. If it breaks, then a log of it's debug information will be very useful.

There's still quite a lot of work to be done, but so far things are looking pretty good, and I'm hoping there's a few interested parties here.

Tom Parker