Re: Keeping user docs up-to-date with applications

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 16:34 +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> Sergej Kotliar wrote:

> >> Agree completely.  Another option, however, is that whenever
> >> maintainers do something, they file a bug against the docs
> >> component of their product in bugzilla.  Generally speaking,
> >> this means that every time a developer spends hours and hours
> >> implementing a new feature, he needs to spend an additional
> >> five minutes writing a very basic outline of what the feature
> >> does in bugzilla.  A particularly nice maintainer might also
> >> list anticipated common gotchas or other quirks.
> >>

> >> Heck, if the feature (or substantial UI change or whatever)
> >> was implemented in response to a bug, the maintainer needn't
> >> even file a new docs bug.  He can just change the component
> >> of the existing bug, rather than closing it.
> >>
> >> This would give the documentation team a much better chance
> >> of documenting as we go, rather than in one lump sum at the
> >> end of the release cycle.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shaun
> >>

> > An even easier solution would be to add the keyword UICHANGE to
> > bugzilla, and let maintainers mark bugs with it whenever they
> > commit anything that changes the UI. In many cases, I think the
> > info in the bugreport would be enough. Of course - if it doesn't
> > have a bug report, one would have to be filed as Shaun suggested.
> >
> One issue with that is that the bug would also be marked FIXED. Docs
> people would have to check for UICHANGE in open *plus* resolved bugs in
> the timeframe since the last release, which can get messy given that
> people branch at different times.

Right.  Maintainers won't want to leave those bugs laying
around open, because they get in their way.  I don't know
how everybody else works, but I generally use bugzilla as
my TODO list.  If my bug list were full of things that I'd
already done, it would make bugzilla less useful.

On top of that, it's hard enough for documentation folks
to use bugzilla for documentation things already.  Bugs
are spread out across so many products with varying names
of components for documentation.  (A few still don't even
have docs components, despite my constant pestering.)  We
often just want to say "What can I do?" rather than "What
needs to be fixed in this document?"  That's already not
easy, and if we had to look for keywords outside our docs
components as well, it would just make things harder.

--
Shaun