Re: icon naming spec and gnome-vfs

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 18:37 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="David Zeuthen">
>
> > Also, looking at gnome-icon-utils I see that you deleted a bunch of icons.
> > That's bad, I wish you had looked at the gnome-vfs code on how we do the
> > icons. Then we could have avoided this rush.
>
> Was this transition not documented to help developers adapt during the 2.15
> timeframe (I don't remember seeing anything lengthy on d-a-l about it)?

I remember lots of debate about but no real continuous stream of nagging
mails a'la "you need to port your app to use the new naming convention".
It's not done for gnome-vfs at least. Wasn't we supposed to port
applications or am I wrong?

Oh, funny story, actually the only reason I remembered to check this for
gnome-vfs [1] was that I did a presentation at OLS on Kay's laptop
running SLED and when I pointed out "and here you get a nice icon
looking like Compact Flash" I got an icon for a removable drive. Which
was ick! Then I had to say "uhm, eh".. well, it was funny...

Anyho, the experience was pretty far from how upstream GNOME used to
work so I wanted to check if the regression made it upstream yet. And,
yes, this is how upstream GNOME now works which I think is wrong so
hence the patch to the naming spec so gnome-vfs works reasonable with
the gnome-icon-theme.

(btw, don't get me wrong, I think the naming spec stuff is awesome work,
I just don't want to see a lot of regressions for things that actually
are useful to people - e.g. try plugging in a 4in1 card reader and you
will see a lot of identical icons for the media)

    David

[1] : I'm not a gnome-vfs maintainer, I just did the HAL stuff in
gnome-vfs to get the snazzy looking icons and human readable icon
captions.