Re: Putting the 'Mono debate' back on the rails

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 18:40 +0200, J�lleter wrote:
> > These optional builds don't help much, unless people are using gentoo
> > (or other source-based distros).
> >
> > If the binary package was built with glade support then distros are
> > unlikely to change their binary package in the future to remove the
> > glade support. That would be an ABI break.
>
> gtk-sharp has a separate glib-sharp-2.0.pc pkg-config file, so it's
> relatively easy to provide multiple binary packages from one source
> package or am I missing something?

It might be possible, but distros generally don't do that. And once
they've released a binary package and called it stable then they can't
change that (unless they do a parallel install and deprecate the old
binary package).

gnome-python-extras is an example of an all-in-one source tarball that's
currently causing me problems because it's packaged as an all-in-one
binary package on debian/Ubuntu.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com