Re: Putting the 'Mono debate' back on the rails

Hi Miguel,

Le lundi 24 juillet 2006, à 05:30, Miguel de Icaza a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> > I know the issues splitting Gtk# can bring, but not splitting also brings
> > issues from the GNOME point of view. And that's more important in my
> > mind (maybe I'm alone in thinking that, though ;-))
>
> I would be interested in understanding what the issues of non-splitting
> are, from the GNOME point of view.  I do not know what those are.

First, we have the bindings requirements, stating: "Non-GNOME Platform
bindings do not belong in GNOME Platform Bindings modules." [1]

We can of course ignore the requirements, or even better, change them if
we feel it's appropriate. It's a bit late to change them for this
release cycle, though.

Then, we have the meaning of this sentence. Why do we have this
requirement? The bindings bind the GNOME platform. That's what we
encourage ISD and ISV to use as a basis for their applications. The
message is: "here's our platform, and you can use those bindings to
develop in other languages". For many people, the official GNOME
platform will be the bindings they will use. Having libgnomeprint(ui) in
there doesn't look good (and it will look even worse if we kick it
out of the Desktop suite because of the gtk print stuff). Having
libpanel-applet which we're trying to replace is not better either.

(Also, I guess some people would comment that GNOME is selling its soul
to mono, but this is not what is worrying me)

> And it would help in discussing whether those issues are more important
> than breaking existing code.

Isn't it possible to provide a migration path?

Vincent

[1] http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/ModuleRequirements/PlaformBindings

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.