Re: Putting the 'Mono debate' back on the rails

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 14:20 -0400, Ben Maurer wrote:
> AOT is *not* always faster. There are lots of variables. For example, at
> JIT time, the compiler can make some assumptions that AOT can not (for
> example, if you have a static readonly field [static final in java], JITs
> can inline the constant value because it will never change. AOT can't do
> this because the value is computed in the static constructor).

We're goin' way off topic. Let me point you back to me first email:

> the project's Makefiles are written ... in both the Mono AOT and Java
> GCJ cases, libraries in use are shared between processes. Execution

The benefit of AOT that I am emphasizing here is shared libraries and
the amount of memory which would be saved - especially in the Java case.
Any gains (or not) in execution speed would just be a nice side effect.