Re: Migration Paths for New Modules

Shaun wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 14:03 -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
> > A big question for me is what does it mean to be 'the screen reader' and
> > how does it get launched (much like what it means to be 'the web
> > browser' or 'the e-mail reader')?  This is something outside of the
> > control of Gnopernicus and Orca, and I'm not sure how this works.
> > Guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

The current behavior is partly hard-wired; there is a gconf key called
/desktop/gnome/accessibility/startup/exec_ats which is used to launch
more or more assistive technologies at startup. (IIRC it's a
semicolon-delimited string).

However the AT Prefs dialog, which has the 'screenreader', 'magnifier',
and 'onscreen keyboard' checkboxes, currently has hard-wired behavior;
if you tick the 'screen reader' box, it parses the above string and
ensures that 'gnopernicus' is included in the exec_ats string.

This is of course not the right way to do it, but at the time the idea
that there would be multiple screenreaders/etc. was not something that
the gnome-session maintainers or UI folks wanted to deal with (after
all, we only have one panel and one officially-blessed email client,
etc. etc.).

However I think now would be a good time to fix this.  I see several
possible solutions:

1) keep the exec_ats string as-is, using it for legacy behavior, but
associate the checkboxes with boolean gconf keys.  Then gnome-session
could read the 'screenreader' gconf key and launch orca automatically if
it were checked (same for 'magnifier' gconf key, with different params
passed to orca).

2) modify the exec_ats string the next time the user runs the AT prefs
dialog, warning the user of the change.  User can cancel and leave
exec_ats as-is.

3) Do both #1 and #2 above, i.e. add new gconf booleans and offer to
change the startup ats (via modifying exec_ats) when the user first runs
the AT support dialog.  We could also launch the AT support dialog
automatically if exec_ats is not empty, to inform the user of the
replacement of gnopernicus with orca.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to add 'screen reader', 'magnifier' and
'onscreen keyboard' (or 'keyboard alternative'?) to the
/desktop/gnome/applications directory and the Preferred Applications
dialog so that the user could configure which AT they wanted to do a
specific job (with orca the new default screen reader).  This would also
make it easy for users to select dasher instead of gok, for instance.

regards

Bill