Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
>   Does it make sense to you to use have three or four different DOM
>   parsers in memory at the same time?

No, it doesn't, but we already have three XML(ish) parsers linked into
every C-based GNOME app (libxml2, expat, and GMarkup). And yet, GNOME is
*better* now than it was when we only had one XML parser.

>   the problem is that there are many other pieces that are also
>   overlapping with the GNOME framework, and that can do nothing but
>   mess up the desktop.

How exactly are these apps going to mess up the desktop? Let's take
Tomboy, since it's on the table. What *precisely* does Tomboy do that
messes up the desktop (that it wouldn't do if it was written in C)?

And if your argument is really "languages that come with their own
frameworks are bad", and not just "I hate mono", then why didn't you
argue against allowing python-based apps in the platform when that came
up a year and a half ago?

-- Dan