Re: [Fwd: "Document font" pref [was: Re: asking for approval for bug 160454]]

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 12:06 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 08:28 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > > If you have a multi-line text field that isn't
> > > fixed width, you should seriously consider using
> > > the document font setting.  The dictionary should
> > > use the document font setting.  (Why do we have
> > > two seperate programs for the dictionary and the
> > > dictionary applet?)
> >
> > We have two binaries; the dictionary applet and the application both
> > live inside gnome-utils/gnome-dictionary.  Besides that, the dictionary
> > applet has a different UI (single-window, attached to the panel).
> > Personally, I mainly use the application, since I don't have much more
> > panel "real estate" left for the applet (when Davyd asked, at the last
> > GUADEC, "how many applets do you have running", I was one that coughed
> > uncomfortably and looked out of the window).
>
> Oh, that was you coughing?  :)
>
> I understand that the applets needs to have, well, an applet.
> But then, wait, hum.  Now I was just going to go on about how
> the applet brings up a different window than the application.
> They're similar, but not the same thing.  But then I just
> tested it on this machine, and that's not true.  But I swear,
> when I wrote that last night, on that machine, they were
> different windows.  What's up with that?

Beats me. :-)

The new UI has been introduced since gnome-utils 2.13.4; the application
should look something like this:

  http://log.emmanuelebassi.net/images/shots/gnome-dictionary-new.png

with support for multiple windows; the applet should look something like
this:

  http://log.emmanuelebassi.net/images/shots/dictionary-comparison.png

but there is only one window per applet, and the window is
"sticky" (attached to the panel, like the gnome-blog applet).  There has
been a lot of sligh UI changes and fixes going on, but the overall look
of the dictionary is this since the end of December.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi - <ebassi gmail com>