Re: fam/gamin/inotify [was: Re: New schemas...]

John McCutchan píše v Pá 27. 01. 2006 v 10:09 -0500:

> > > This attempt limited to local files is called gamin.
> >
> > As I understand it, gamin is limited by design to local filesystems. If
> > it can be extended e.g. to query a distant FAM daemon, this becomes of
> > course another option.
>
> Yes, gamin only monitors the local filesystem. It can't be extended to
> query a FAM daemon across the network.

But maybe gamin can query local FAM daemon (or only delegate calls via
libfam).

> Gnome-vfs 2.14 will use inotify by default on Linux. It will only
> support monitoring the local filesystem. I don't think this will be a
> regression for most people because they have been using gamin for the
> last few releases. Of course gnome-vfs can be compiled so that gamin/FAM
> is used instead for users who need network filesystem monitoring.

But it is a regression for NFS users: Either users have to recompile
their gnome-vfs or distribution package maintainers have to continue in
using dirty tricks (two versions of package, wrappers for dynamic
decision on using of FAM or gamin, replacing gamin by fam after
activation of NFS etc.).

Integrated FAM support without disabling inotify would be nice. Either
as two backends or FAM as fallback if inotify fails.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/