Re: GStreamer version for 2.14

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 10:44 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
> > On 1/15/06, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > So, the release team messed up and didn't keep close enough tabs on
> > > everything, resulting in discovering an issue pretty late. We need to
> > > try to find rough consensus in the community.
> >
> > So, here's my understanding of this thread and the alternate one[1]
> > (feel free to correct anything I got wrong; I am not an expert in this
> > area by any means):
> >
> > - There is no good or optimal solution; all choices have multiple
> > drawbacks.  :(  We still have to pick one, though.
> > - 0.10 is more stable in the doesn't-crash sense, but has a less
> > complete set of plugins and thus cannot handle as many formats
> > - The regressions that exist from the less complete set of plugins are
> > limited to totem
> > - these regressions are for formats we can't ship anyway, though they
> > do limit  what can be played in totem for those
> > non-tree-hugging-lefties[2] who would otherwise be able to just
> > download extra plugins.
> > - 0.8 has very little development or maintenance effort and has
> > unfixable problems due to inherently problematic API (causing various
> > crashes, as noted above)
> > - 0.8 and 0.10 can be installed simultaneously, though actively
> > depending on both is a bigger maintenance load that would probably be
> > better spent fixing stuff, and it may also be more annoying to users
> > since preference applets only affect settings for one of the two
> > versions (granted, this will only affect the users who don't want to
> > use the defaults and who are able to understand those dialogs)
> > - Those actively working on gstreamer now recommend 0.10, Ronald (who
> > has done *huge* amounts of gstreamer work in the past and is
> > volunteering to continue to work on 0.8 as his time permits) prefers
> > 0.8
> > - most distros appear to be moving to 0.10 (JDS, Ubuntu, Fedora;
> > Fedora is shipping both versions, but 'gstreamer' is 0.10 while
> > there's also a 'gstreamer08')
> > - not knowing what we're using is holding up the 2.13.5 release
> >
> > So, here's my proposal:
> > Ship with 0.10.  Have everything default to it.  Also include 0.8 in
> > the ftp directory, but not used.  Include a big old section in the
> > release notes explaining the situation and letting people know that
> > they can recompile totem or compile a second version of totem against
> > 0.8 if they wish.
>
> Okay, so this is now official; Gstreamer 0.10 is the plan for Gnome
> 2.14.  There's only one minor change to my proposal above, namely that
> instead of adding unsed 0.8 tarballs to ftp just refer to them in the
> important notice in the release notes about this issue (as suggested
> by jdub, federico, and fcrozat).
>
> So, work on the delayed Gnome-2.13.5 release can now proceed.  The
> only problem remaining for that release now is that we need an
> [...]

The transmogrify script/patch fails during build with the following
error:

e.Tpo -c audio-profile.c  -fPIC -DPIC
-o .libs/libgnome_media_profiles_la-audio-profile.o
audio-profile.c: In function 'gm_audio_profile_sync_list':
audio-profile.c:215: error: syntax error before 'GST_MAJORMINOR_QUOTED'
audio-profile.c: In function 'gm_audio_profile_new':
audio-profile.c:309: error: syntax error before 'GST_MAJORMINOR_QUOTED'
audio-profile.c: In function 'gm_audio_profile_initialize':
audio-profile.c:713: error: syntax error before 'GST_MAJORMINOR_QUOTED'
audio-profile.c: In function 'gm_audio_profile_create':
audio-profile.c:982: error: syntax error before 'GST_MAJORMINOR_QUOTED'
audio-profile.c:1047: error: syntax error before 'GST_MAJORMINOR_QUOTED'
audio-profile.c: In function 'gm_audio_profile_delete_list':
audio-profile.c:1151: error: syntax error before 'GST_MAJORMINOR_QUOTED'
make[4]: *** [libgnome_media_profiles_la-audio-profile.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/hdb1/home/gnome/garnome-2.13.5/desktop/gnome-media/work/main.d/gnome-media-2.13.5/profiles'

I'm building with gstreamer-0.10.2 and friends.

Bob

--
Bob Kashani
http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome