Re: autotools gives autopain

Davyd Madeley wrote:

> Quoting James Henstridge <james jamesh id au>:
>
>> I get the feeling that scons plus something like bksys might be worth
>> considering in the future, but it seems a bit immature right now.  I'm
>> sure it has benefits right now, such as removing libtool from the build
>> process (which takes up a noticeable amount of time in builds), but it
>> isn't clear that the benefits currently outweigh the switching costs.
>

> What about platforms where libtool is required?

Which platforms would they be?  Don't all the platforms we support
support shared libraries without libtool?

My point above is that libtool-like functionality for abstracting the
shared library build process should be possible from within an
extensible build framework like scons.  This eliminates the need to call
a big-arse shell script that calls dozens of shell utilities (which is
particularly slow on win32), so you just end up forking to call the
compiler, linker, etc.

James.