Re: D-BUS and Xforwarding.

Davyd Madeley wrote:
I have pondered the idea of a Dbus-over-X bridge. That is, when
attempting to connect to the session bus, it detects that DISPLAY
implies you're on a remote machine, and then uses X11 to communicate
with the same machine that is running your X server via a bus proxy
back to the session daemon.

I started writing the dbus-X bridge at one point early in dbus's life, but dropped it and didn't get back to it.

It's a fine idea. You should not need to try and figure out DISPLAY; just include the X bridge as the second address to try in DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and in theory libdbus will fall back to it if better methods fail.

I do think changing ssh to forward DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is a better long-term solution, but would obviously have to be implemented and then wouldn't be widely deployed for several years.

The only real question here is how to avoid the Xlib dependency for libdbus, there are various hacks one could employ.

Havoc