Re: Cancel session shutdown

On dim, 2006-08-06 at 16:24 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Xavier Claessens wrote:

> >> Right now you have to do this with XSMP, gnome-session doesn't have a
> >> D-Bus protocol for it.
> >>
> >> Havoc
> >
> > Thanks ! Is there no protocol yet, or is it a reason to not use D-Bus ?
> >

> I'm not sure what you mean by "implementing D-Bus support" ; D-Bus is
> more a means to an end than an end in itself.

I writing a xchat plugin to provide a dbus service. The goal is to have
external applications that can talk to xchat and do everything a xchat
plugin can. My primary goal isn't session management but since I'm
writing D-Bus code in xchat I can also add something for sessions if
it's possible using D-Bus.

> If your goal is to implement session management, then D-Bus isn't used
> for that right now, XSMP is. GNOME could certainly use D-Bus for it
> instead, but at the moment it does not.
>
> I personally think XSMP should be replaced by a "shutdown protocol" on
> D-Bus plus a "startup programs" folder, since XSMP has lots of nasty
> complexity that nobody really understands or uses.

Ok, thanks.

Xavier Claessens.