Re: Gtk# in 2.16

On 4/24/06, Mike Kestner <mkestner novell com> wrote:
> The discussion already seems to have started, but I'd like to "formally"
> propose Gtk# for inclusion in the 2.16 Gnome bindings release.

Great!

> Gtk# is a language binding for Gtk+ (and most of the Gnome platform
> libraries) for .net/mono supported languages including C#, VB.net,
> python, boo, nemerle and several others.  We have stable releases for
> Gtk 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, and 2.8 now, with associated gnome platform
> libraries.  We are prepared to release alongside the Gnome schedule
> moving forward.

To clarify, this means you're targetting Gtk+-2.10 for Gnome 2.16, right?

> I have reviewed the Requirements page and I believe we can comply with
> all but 1 rule, the one that requires bindings for GnomePrint and other
> desktop libraries to be bound by a separate package.  We already have
> bindings for gnomeprint and gtkhtml in Gtk#, for example, and would
> prefer not to remove them from the binding set, though gnomeprint is
> obviously headed for obsolescence.

Why are you unable to comply with that one -- what would be difficult
about putting the API/ABI stable bindings into one package and putting
the other bindings in a separate one?  Wouldn't it just mean that
people who want to use the extra bindings install both packages?  I
feel like I'm missing something because I would have assumed this was
the easiest requirement to comply with (though I'm obviously no expert
in the area...)

Thanks,
Elijah