Re: Gnome is a problem for OEMs

Daniel Carrera wrote:
Hello,

I work for an OEM that eagerly wants to sell Linux computers.
Hi,

I am glad to learn that you want to support Linux on the PCs that you sell.
I've spent all afternoon trying to figure out how I, as an OEM, can configure Gnome before giving it to a user. I just want to change some icons on the panel and maybe a menu entry.

After exhaustive search, I can only conclude that there is no way to do this.
Sabayon is one piece of software that is designed to do the configuration you want on a single PC. If you want a more command-line oriented approach, you could try googling for one of the following:

"gnome administrators guide"
"gnome customize panel administrator"

Or a selection of other keywords that all end up at http://www.gnome.org/learn/admin-guide/2.6/

Hopefully that admin guide will contain some of the information you're looking for. If not, please feel free to ask around some more. Oh, and point out which bits you want to customise and can't - if we know where the weaknesses are, it makes it easier to add the functionality in future releases.

Hope that helps,

--
Andrew

[ rest of e-mail snipped ]