Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 11:50 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> I don't understand why you don't care. Usually, AFAIK, batteries have a
> longer life if you charge them completely and then discharge them
> completely, so at least from my experience, you really care when it's
> fully charged so that you can unplug it from AC and start discharging.

This is true of NiCd and NiMH batteries. It is not true of Li-ION and
LiS batteries, which do not develop "memory" in the same way. I've seen
it recommended that such batteries instead be used in smaller bursts.
Completely discharging and then recharging Li-ION cells repeatedly can
actually cause them to flip polarity and "die".

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA