Re: Notification icons hell (was Re: [gpm] Re: Gnome 2.16 Module Proposal: GNOME Power Manager)

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 10:28 +0100, Iain * wrote:

> >  + try to make the notification area smart and force some icons to hide.
> >    This will be inherently broken.
>
> There are two different ways of looking at the icons
> + Icon is application and any windows created belong to the icon
>     The program doesn't quit when you close windows. Gaim and Tomboy are
>     examples

Tomboy also has a proper applet (which I'm using right now).

Gaim's icon is similar to the NetworkManager: it shows the state of the
connection, and changes when there's an "event"; one could also argue
that the 'Buddy List' is hardly Gaim's main window (I practically never
use it).

Ciao,
 Emmanuele

--