Re: Quality of Service in GNOME

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 23:06 +0200, Samuel Abels wrote:
> Are there any plans to implement network traffic prioritization in
> GNOME? What I mean is a just-works, configuration-free solution, in
> which applications (indirectly) indicate a traffic type to the
> kernel-level scheduler/queue. For example, give the application that has
> currently focus a higher network priority, or make that VoIP application
> work perfectly even if you have a few downloads/bittorrent running, etc.
>
> -Samuel

Hey Samuel,

The default queuing discipline on Linux is pfifo_fast.  This discipline
respects the TOS flags in the IP header.  So, provided that applications
set the TOS flags that most closely match the requirements of the
application, things will hopefully keep moving smoothly.  It might be
nice to expose this easily in our networking APIs though.  For more
information about pfifo_fast and how it handles packets with different
TOS flags, look here: http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.classless.html

Mark Drago.