Re: MOTD implementation in gnome-session

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> I have had this patch around for some time, and seems to work pretty
> well, so sending for comments and/or approval.
>
> It just makes gnome-session display the /etc/motd file on startup, using
> libnotify if available, or an ugly dialog if not. The 2 new files are to
> be placed in gnome-session/gnome-session

When we are speaking about support of "old-style" UNIX communication
support, I would like to see "write daemon" in default session -
something which will open a pty and wait for incoming messages (and
being able to translate some of them).

Otherwise pure GNOME user without any terminal opened will loose UPS
power failure alert or report about incoming reboot or fatal failure
reports from syslogd.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/