Recent Documents Applet

Hi all.

This is all Federico's fault for his vision. ;-)

I wrote an applet as a technology demonstrator for the new Recent Files
code; it's nothing more than a toy, right now - but it's a working use
case, and during the development (which took me just an afternoon) I
pretended not to know the API (and thanks to my bad memory, it actually
didn't require a great deal of imagination).

Since it's still a work in progress, there's no code or tarball - you'll
have to wait later this week; but there are a couple of screenshots:

  http://log.emmanuelebassi.net/software/recent-documents-applet

Basically, is an applet working much like Seth's gnome-blog python
applet (except it's written in C), which shows the list of recently used
files.  The feature list is what makes it a work in progress: I've yet
to handle the code to launch the items (right now, you can only drag and
drop them onto an application), or the code that handles the filesystem
events - like deletion, move and such; also, custom filters and a item
properties window would be in order.  But all in all, it's simple code -
and lives well inside platform libraries.

As soon as I add a bit more features and documentation, I'll put
together a release on the same page.

I don't pretend that this should be the right approach for recent files
in a future release cycle: as I said, it's just a toy to prove that the
approach is sound and usable.

+++

On a related issue.  This (2.13/2.14) should be the last cycle for the
libegg/recent-files code.  I'll mark it as deprecated: it will only be
enabled using a *compile-time option*.  I'll send more warnings later
about this - but anyone using it should be well aware that it's going to
happen in *this* release cycle.

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--