Re: EOG features

Hi !

> I'm having a little dilema about EOG redesign: should EOG be able to
> save image changes (rotation) to disk? I tend to say "no" because,
> actually, EOG is an image VIEWER (there is GIMP for image editing). My
> plan is: 1) add an "Open With" "File" menu item to make it easy to
> access an image editor; 2) replace "Save"  and "Save as" menu items
> with a "Save  copy" one, like Evince; 3) auto-rotate images based on
> EXIF data.
>
> I'd like to know what you dudes think about it. I don't know if saving
> image changes is a common EOG use case. IMHO, it shouldn't be. :-)

I would just like to point out that it is confusing, in the present
situation, that EOG does allow one to modify a picture (or at least make
one believe he modified it) by rotating it, and not being able to save
the changes. I double-click on a picture that needs 90° rotating, rotate
it, and close the window : I think it is all set, but if I open it
again, it's just the same as before. And EOG didn't even tell me that my
changes wouldn't be saved, or ask me whether to save them when I closed
the window.

I believe that EOG should

1) Either not have any rotate button at all, and indeed use the EXIF
data (but then what about older cameras, a lot of them don't have the
appropriate sensor, do they ?) to diplay the right orientation.

2) Either keep its rotating functions, but then prompt the user ("Do you
want to save changes ?") when he closes the window and be able to
actually save the picture.

I like those two options equally, I just believe it is wrong to let the
user believe he did modify something on the disk which in fact he
didn't.

Cheers,
Manu