Re: roadmap status update/update request

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:19:08 +0000, Jamie McCracken
<jamiemcc blueyonder co uk> wrote:
> Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> >> allow voluntary up front contributions but the user chooses which
> >> bounty to attach it to so popular stuff quickly builds up into big
> >> bounties
> >
> > At first sounds good, but there is a problem here:
> > Quickly, a casual user will need to pay more than he would normally pay
> > Apple or MS to buy their products every 1-2 years (and I must say here,
> > I get way more new features each year with new Mac OS X versions than I
> > get with Gnome's timed releases). For example, for my 20 feature
> > requests I might need to pledge around $1000 for all of them. While this
> > is still extremely cheap considering that consultant work is about $200
> > per hour in US, we still talking about OSS which should be cheaper and
> > be more friendly to "customers", aka users. Also, this gets quickly very
> > expensive for the users and the whole thing is bound to fail.

<snip>

This is way off topic for d-d-l.  Take it to foundation-list or
/dev/null.  Thanks.

I'll probably apologize later for being so grumpy, but for now it's
time to use a proven method for improving Gnome--doing work instead of
reading email.