Re: Default Theme Progress

Rodney Dawes wrote:
Steven Garrity wrote:
Hey Novell people: what about you guys? Any interest in Clearlooks?
I've none really. It looks like Bluecurve. Whoo. There's nothing
particularly special about it. Same stuff, different colors. It's
not as ugly as "Simple" was, but few things are really. Maybe Crux
and Mardi Gras or whatever it was. And, looking back at the Wiki
page (which btw, wikis suck for discussion, as there's no push
method, and it's all manual polling, so i hate that this has
been going on, on a wiki anyway), I don't see any particular
consensus to use a certain theme. It seems more like Seth just
went about and decided today that ClearLooks would be the new
theme. I thought there was supposed to be some design put into
creating a new theme for 2.12? What happened to that contest
that everyone was talking about? The wiki page is totally incomplete
for deciding on a new theme.

Voting and contents/competitions are also not good ways to make decisions like this. Someone (a human being) has to look at the input from everyone, evaluate the options, and make the call.

Who has the authority to make this decision final at the Gnome level?

Seth and Diana made it clear that they don't think Clearlooks is the One Theme to Rule Them All. Rather, it's an incremental improvement and works well today.

As for Novell, I Novell Linux Desktop ships with Industrial today, right? Are there any plans at Novell for improving Industrial, are you happy with it, are you looking for other options? You've got great artists working there (Garrett, Jimmac, Tigert) - surely they've been thinking about this. Do share!

Again, +1 for Clearlooks from me.

Steven Garrity