Re: Minimum required Python version in JHBuild

JP Rosevear wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 14:16 +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
>

>>At the moment, jhbuild requires Python >= 2.0.
>>
>>I was wondering if it would inconvenience anyone if I increased the
>>minimum version requirement to 2.2 or 2.3 at some point.
>>

>Would this mean we could drop Python from the bootstrap?  It was mostly
>in there to get the necessary xml libraries back in 2.0 wasn't it?

The reason for having jhbuild include Python in the bootstrap module set
was that various components depended on newer versions of Python than
jhbuild required to run.  This is sort of orthogonal to jhbuild's
minimum version requirement, since jhbuild needs to be able to run
before bootstrap too ...

It might make sense to leave it out of "meta-bootstrap", which would
still let people build it with:
    jhbuild -m bootstrap build python

James.