Re: Detecting GNOME

Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 21:22 +0200, Tomasz Melcer wrote:

 Is there a simple way to check if GNOME manages an X display?

This is something that people have requested when looking at the GNOME
ISV guide.

Maybe we should have gnome-session set a property on the root window,
pointing to an invisible window of its own.  That window should in turn
have the same property pointing to the window itself.
 This works for as long as gnome-session or whatever session manager is
used in GNOME. I am for this suggestion [1].
 Of course, the same property could be ported over to the next generation
of session manager.

-Ghee

[1] In JDS, we simply set a atom by the name of "GNOME_SM_DESKTOP"
on the root window for legacy apps to ping that the session is GNOME.
Though this is not as sophiscated as you suggested, but we do document this
as a interface.

 Federico