Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users

* Oops, sent this just to you John originally, apologies *

> Essentially we propose modifying the GNOME About box to include a toggle
> that indicate the user's permission to activate a program that would
> periodically contact a central GNOME server.   Information that would be
> transmitted and recorded has not been decided yet, but the prime
> requirement is to record the number of current GNOME users (not
> installations) on a (say) monthly basis.

What about placing a button or tickbox in Evolution?
A large amount of the user base probably use it for sending and
retrieving their mail and we could notify the "gnome counter" server
on every other send and recieve.

Just an idea, it does depend on whether other distributions decide to
keep it in there when they ship.

--
Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey)
+44 (0)20 7870 2206