Re: One library to contain them all (DAL, Plugins, etc)

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 13:52 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 12:04 +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Since we seem to always need highly-specialized APIs, and given that we
> > might be targeting the removal of libgnome/libgnomeui, here's a
> > proposal:
> >
> > http://rodrigo.gnome-db.org/news.php?14/January/2005
> >
> > what do you think?
>
> 	«An Application class, not for having an application's main window, but
> as an easy way for applications to register services to be called from
> other applications. All enterprise/extended/foundation classes used by
> the application could be automatically registered as services via the
> Application class and thus make them available to external
> applications.»
>
>   I know there is a general trend to deprecate bonobo (which I deeply
> regret), but libbonobo has, since 2.6, BonoboApplication and
> BonoboAppClient. See [1] and [2].  Coupled with bonobo-activation, it
> can be used to register services.

yes, I didn't want to mention any specific technology, and yes, I know
about BonoboApplication, which is great. The problem is, as you say,
that people tend to deprecate bonobo (not me, really :) in favor of
D-BUS, whose best thing is its desktop-independence.

I myself would vote for using Bonobo, but since people tend to prefer
D-BUS, I guess that's what we could use.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>